Why Jason? Why!?!?

With Death Race having recently fizzed at the box office, I've taken a little time to reflect on Jason Statham’s career and all I can think is why? Why Jason? Why? You play the same role in every movie. We get it, you are a badass and can kick people in the face on demand. There is nothing wrong with just doing action movies. I wish some people would stick to just action movies (The Rock), but Mr. Statham you have proved that you can be better. We all know you can. We have seen you in Guy Ritchie movies. Are you only comfortable actually acting when you speak with a British accent? I loved you as Turkish in Snatch; you weaved the story together perfectly and received a moderate amount of critical acclaim. Then Guy Ritchie let go of your hand and you just wandered around like a confused child. You decided you couldn’t act in a movie unless it had a featured at least one car chase and no less than ten on screen deaths.

You may think that I am being a bit harsh but let me remind you of The One, The Transporter, The Italian Job, Transporter 2, Crank, The Bank Job, and now Deathrace. I don’t dislike all of these movies, my problem is they are pretty much the same movie: Man against the odds, some sort of outlandish task has to be completed, and lots of car chases and hand to hand combat. You can do better! Take a chance with something different. You might fail but you might also be able to extend your career as well. Sooner or later people are going to get tired of watching you play the exact same part in every movie (Brendan Fraser). I hope getting into character doesn't challenge you too much, although I can't imagine Transporter 3, Crank 2, and The Brazilian Job being to much of a stretch for you.